Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Just Around THE CORNER

7-18-09 Apex, NC.

I am on an adventure. I am looking for the best breakfast and the best bar food in the Triangle. Yep. Anything comfort food is in this epicurean category. It does not mean I am eating carbs and fat grams all the time by any stretch, a big plate of house salad and a grilled chicken sandwich or egg whites and whole wheat; they all qualify. But if I am falling off the diet wagon, I am playing hard ball. I'm talking potato skins and hash browns. I'm talking food you remember.

I reviewed Rudy's in Apex (Haddon Hall) not too long ago. Awesome bar food and a nice place to grab a salad or patty melt for lunch. That was my first victim!

Today it's The Corner Tavern & Grill at Maynard/ High House, 1301 NW Maynard in Cary NC. Nestled literally in the corner between Kroger and Pearle Vision, the first thing you notice is the bright, clean atmosphere. Big screen TVs and a wonderful outside eating area give the customer added value. The staff is super friendly. Sarah is a cheerful, high energy server which is a must in this environment. Katherine, the co-owner, came over to make sure all was well. So did Clarence the chef in the kitchen. This kitchen serves everything fresh and hand cuts its steaks. It even fresh grinds the Angus beef for a burger just the way you like it. All of the salad dressings are home-made. And so are the fresh soups.

Appetizers include: Wings, Beer-battered Buffalo Shrimp, and hand battered Fried Oysters. Seven kinds of salads grace the menu, and the sides include items like Red Skin Potato Salad and Sweet Potato Fries. Entrees feature a 14 oz. New York Strip and a 7 oz. portion of Grilled Salmon. Now for the fun part, how about a 10 oz. hand patted Angus Beef Burger served on a Pretzel Roll? I had the BALT; crisp Applewood bacon, fresh sliced Avocado, lettuce and tomato served on whole wheat. It was wonderful.

The kids can get... you guessed it, grilled cheese and Mac and Cheese.

The Corner Tavern and Grill has only been open a few weeks. But you cannot tell. Now, I wish chips and salsa were on the menu. And potato skins would be a nice add. But there is a wonderful and delicious array of food on the menu that is well worth regular visits.

I recommend it with or without reservations :). Next will be a surprise breakfast place. I am hungry already!

No comments: